Friday, November 16, 2007

What are you thankful for?

The title of this blog is "Lonye's transplant journey". The truth is this is a journey that we are all taking together. Lonye, this blog is about you and for you. It's also about sharing our hearts.

Next week is Thanksgiving! We have so much to be thankful for. I told you last night, that as we get closer to that one day each year that is set aside specifcally to celebrate the things that God has given & done for us, "I can't help but get a little emotional". We (you and I) always say that "things happen for reason", and I believe they do. I also believe that they happen in the proper time too. Just think about our life together! We met when we were still kids. The wonderful thing is that over the last 17 years we have really grown up together.

We have been through so many things. There have been losses of family (my dad, your mom, grandparents) and friends. Do you remember when Shelby was a tiny baby? I thought that girl would never stop crying. But she did. She has become our greatest joy! She is so much like you, it's amazing. I love to sit back and watch the two of you. She loves the times when you get down on the floor and play legos or a board game (maybe it's because you let her cheat sometimes) with her.

We have gone through career changes, marriage & divorce of family members, the list goes on and on. The point is this. Through all of this life together, you have remained constant and true. You have and do provide a safe and comfortable home for us. I remember the times when I have asked "how do you feel today?" and a few times you have said, "I hope you never have to know how I really feel. On my very BEST day I feel worse than you do on your very worst day". I try to stop and think about that once in a while. I very rarely get sick at all, when I do it's usually a cold. I did get strep throat a few years ago, I didn't get out of bed for three days.

I see you now, getting more tired with each passing day. Yet, you go to work as much as you can. Knowing you as I do, I would worry if you didn't go in. At the same time, you need to reserve your strength. There will be plenty of time for that in the months ahead. I have more love, admiration and respect for you than I will ever be able to put into words. I know you hate it when I get all "sappy". I want you to know that (like you told me the other day) I have no regrets. I love you will all my heart and I always, always will. Thank you for the husband and father you have become. I am so incredibly proud of you!

So, I am thankful that I have you!

No comments: