Monday, December 31, 2007

Lessons in humility

This is an entry that I have been trying to write for several weeks.  As you have probably noticed, writing does not come easy for me.  My thoughts get jumbled and I do tend to ramble.  So, I apologize in advance.......
As I have said before, Lonye & I have been married for almost 17 years.  We have not had to ask for help very often.  As a matter of fact, I think we were too proud to ask.  That all changed this year.  I remember this summer, the transplant team told us that we only needed one more element in place to have Lonye "listed" for transplant.  We needed to have a transportation plan.  They require that we have the ability to arrive at the UW within 3 hours of "the call".  Of course, that meant flying.  I was directed to call someone that knows quite a few of the pilots at Salem Airport (I am not going to say names here only because I don't have permission from the folks who have been so kind to us).  Anyway, I spoke to this gentleman.  He told me about a friend of his who owns a plane.  He gave me his name & phone number and suggested that I call him.  The conversation went something like this.......  I said, "my name is Deanna, _____ told me to give you a call.  My husband has been listed for a transplant @ UW etc, etc, etc.....  I told him everything.  Lonye has Cystic Fibrosis.  We need to be up there in 3 hours......  Now the amazing part........  He said, "I have a plane at the airport.  If it's here & I'm available I will be happy to fly you and your husband to Seattle".  It brings tears to my eyes every time I think about that conversation.  I had never met this man (still haven't), yet, he offered to help us.  If that's not enough, the first contact person then developed a detailed plan to get us to Seattle, including a town car from Boeing Field to UW.  He had a spread sheet with the names & phone numbers of pilots and planes.  My job was to call him, he would take care of the rest.  And he  
Then, there were co-workers who provided info on flight options.  Some one pre-paid a Charter from Portland if the other options didn't work out.  Of course, Ed & Patty have opened their home to us.....  we just met them in July!  Our co-workers have covered for us while we have been away.  I hope that each of you know how much we appreciate your help, we never could have done this without you!
Our family has been unbelievable!!  We always knew that we could count on our brothers & sister, but you guys have been amazing.  Chet & Tracy took Shelby for 3 weeks.  Since they live in Hubbard, it was Chet who took Shelby to school every morning.  She loves to talk in the car on the way to school (and talk, and talk and talk).  Chet likes a quiet ride in to work, you can see how that could be a little annoying.  I'm sure it was.  I'm sure her cousins (Owen & Nolan) will be glad when this is all over and they don't have to share their stuff with a girl!  Shelby loves them very much, but I do think Aunt Tracy is her favorite.
Lee has been on this ride with us from the beginning, literally.  He even went to Seattle for the evaluation.  He was there for both "dry runs" and the real thing.  He came over once a week to help clean the house, do laundry, anything we needed.  He stayed at the hospital with us for the first 5 days.  Then, came back to take care of Bear (our 15 year old poodle).
Vicki came up the day Lee went home.  She stayed with us for the next 4 or 5 days.  She even went back home, got my car and drove it back up to Seattle so that we would have a car.
I know that I have not mentioned everyone who has helped (or offered to help)....  these are just a few of the highlights.  
The point is.....we would not have made it this far without all of you!  Thank you so very much for the help, the thoughts and prayers.  Most of all we thank you for your kindness & love!

No comments: